Loris Capirossi focused after Estoril frustration

Rizla Suzuki rider Loris Capirossi is remaining focused on the final championship run-in following his forced retirement at Estoril.

Loris Capirossi’s disappointing DNF at Estoril has failed to dampen the veteran Italian rider’s positive assessment of the progress his GSV-R machine has made this season.

The Rizla Suzuki rider – who will continue with the same outfit next campaign – retired on the 20th lap of the Portuguese GP, following a technical fault with his bike which made it impossible to continue.

Capirossi was closing in on the battle for sixth place, which was ensuing between Toni ElĂ­as (San Carlo Honda Gresini) and Andrea Dovizioso (Repsol Honda) as he attempted to further secure his championship standing of seventh.

The 36-year-old remains seventh in the overall riders’ rankings for the season, but his points advantage over nearest rival Randy de Puniet (LCR Honda) has now been cut to four, with a chasing pack of six other riders all capable of catching Capirossi in the final three races of the season.

Capirossi – who qualified in seventh place on the grid in Portugal – is maintaining an upbeat outlook ahead of the forthcoming Iveco Australian Grand Prix at Phillip Island, and said, “The Estoril race wasn’t too bad - until we stopped! I started quite well and was with the front group, but I then lost control on turn six and lost a few places. I tried to get my rhythm back and I managed to overtake a few riders and I caught up with Toni and Andrea. I know I was quicker than them and could have got past to score a good result.”

“Then I don't really know what happened to the bike, because it lost power, so all I could do was return to the pits. We have worked really hard this weekend to find the best way to go quicker on the GSV-R and overall our position this weekend was to fight for fifth or sixth, which is not too bad for us because this is one of the worst tracks for us in terms of performance.”

“Everything seems to be improving and we are now looking forward to the next race,” he concluded.

Capirossi’s Suzuki team-mate Chris Vermeulen, who is also hot on the trail of the Italian in the championship, finished tenth - from 15th on the grid - having worked his way through the race field. He echoed his colleague’s sentiments ahead of his home race at Phillip Island.

“I am quite happy with the way I rode and the fact that I moved up through the field,” he said. “We’ve definitely made improvements with the GSV-R at this track and I’m really looking forward to going to Phillip Island with those improvements.”

1 comment:

  1. Sports Online Betting is a nice online interface gaming that extracts learning and information.

    ReplyDelete